Directions to PVH
Email the CEO
Patients & Families
Giving to PVH
Online Greeting Cards
Find a Physician
The People You Know
The Care You Trust
PVH adds latest breakthrough in ultrasound imaging technology
Penobscot Valley Hospital announced that it has acquired the iU22 ultrasound system from Philips Medical Systems, providing advanced diagnostic imaging capabilities with an intelligent system interface that streamlines ultrasound exams for patients and clinicians.
The Philips iU22 features 4D (or, real-time 3D) imaging technology that allows patients to view the fetus and internal organs as if they were being held in the hands. The system’s powerful imaging capabilities support a variety of common exams, including vascular, thyroid, and testicular exams. It also offers advanced imaging capabilities specifically beneficial in the evaluation of breast masses.
“Ultrasound imaging is hugely beneficial because it is a relatively low cost and non-invasive way to look inside the body,” said PVH Director of Imaging, Heather Hines. “With the new Philips system, we are acquiring an extremely high level of diagnostic information and can provide answers for our patients more quickly and easily. Plus, results from the ultrasound exam often reduce the need for more invasive procedures.”
Early clinical use by physicians indicates that the Philips iU22 intelligent ultrasound system provides many patient benefits, including:
· Helps patients better visualize and understand their condition
· Provides clearer ultrasound images of difficult-to-image patients
· Helps identify the nature of suspicious breast lesions sooner
· Enhances the physician’s diagnostic capability, thus reducing or eliminating the need for more expensive or invasive tests and procedures
· Guides catheters and needles in 3D space without radiation exposure
· Provides real-time views of fetal heart function and anatomy
· Reduces the time required for many exams
The new iU22 ultrasound machine is another example of how Penobscot Valley Hospital is providing the latest technologies to the people in the Greater Lincoln area. “You don’t need to travel far for top-notch diagnostic testing,” adds Hines.
Photo captions: (Left) Sample image of a 27-week old fetus taken with the Philips iU22 ultrasound system. (Top Right) Jason Morrison, Sonographer at Penobscot Valley Hospital performs an ultrasound on an expecting mother with the new the equipment.